CLOS DE BÈZE
One of the oldest Wine Estates in France, Clos de Bèze was founded in the 12th century by the monks of the Abbey of Bèze at the present day site. In 1219 the Clos was sold to the canons of Langres who cultivated the property up until the French revolution when it was divided into smaller ‘climat’ (plots) and sold to numerous private buyers. The wines of Clos de Bèze are considered some the finest in all of Burgundy. Since the creation of the AOC system in 1937 the Clos de Bèze is classed as ‘Grand Cru de Bourgogne’.
Situated at the Gevrey-Chambertin junction of the ‘route des Grands Crus’ , in the direction of Morey-Saint-Denis, Domaine Prieuré Rochs’ ‘climat’ covers 1.0136 hectares at the heart of the Clos. The plot has an east facing aspect from 250 metres to 240 metres above sea level on a subsoil of Prémeaux type limestone. It is an exceptional ‘terroir’ of brown earth with silt and scree at the top of the slope, limestone and clay at the base.